MBA/MA Summer Internship – Market Research & Insights
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Start Date: Flexible, starting May-July
Length of Internship: 3 months
Compensation: $300/month stipend. The intern will be responsible for all other expenses such as accommodation and travel (beyond direct work-related travel expenses)
Lynk is a technology startup established in 2015 which seeks to connect blue collar workers to employment in Kenya. At Lynk, we believe that the relationship between employers and informal workers is broken. We envision a world in which everyone can enjoy job security, fair wages, a safe work environment, and the opportunity for career growth. Additionally, for a household, hiring someone for a job should be safe, convenient, and fair. Our platform is designed to address each of these issues, offering a network of professionals that grows and improves over time. Our product offering is growing, with a breadth of exciting services:
- Lynk Requests: Matching verified professionals to bespoke requests in over 140 categories ranging from cleaners, to masseuses, to plumbers, and tailors.
- Lynk Discover: An e-commerce product enabling customers to re-buy high quality and services purchased through the Lynk Request platform.
- Byld: A tech-based platform for the recruitment and management of workers on large construction sites.
- Lynk Projects: A project management service for small design and refurbishment projects.
The Market Research & Insights intern will be responsible for conducting market research across the various Lynk products, to provide insights into customer preferences, worker interests, and new opportunities. This will include A-B testing, surveys, focus groups, prototyping, co-creation, Human-Centered Design approaches, and more. This will be a highly collaborative role, partnering with Product Leads, developers, designers, engineers, and partners. Beyond providing market insights, s/he will also be involved in taking insights forward, including working with programmers and designers to adapt user interfaces, guiding business model and rollout plans.
The Market Research & Insights intern will gain significant experience in the design and start-up of a sustainable social enterprise, and will benefit from close mentoring from a senior leader within the Lynk team. Specific learning objectives include:
- Market research and testing: Hands-on experience leading market research of different products in Kenya (with possibility of travel to Uganda)
- Piloting, prototyping, and testing: Market research based on practice using participatory and Human-Centered Design (HCD) approaches.
- Product design: Working with developers and designers to integrate feedback from Market Research into product design.
- Project management: Planning, day-to-day coordination of market research activities, and stakeholder management.
Ideal Candidate should Posses the Following Qualifications:
- MBA candidate (or related field: Economics, Social Enterprise, Human-Centered Design, etc.).
- Entrepreneurial personality / self-starter – able to take responsibility and undertake tasks with minimal supervision.
- Training in, or experience of, high quality research and market research techniques.
- Experience using data management and analysis software. Excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Some international experience volunteering or engaging with an NGO or business would be beneficial
Living and Working at Lynk:
The position will be based in Nairobi. Life in Nairobi is cosmopolitan, with lots to do and amenities readily available. Viewed at the tech hub of Africa, and the center of social enterprise and impact investment on the continent, it is an exciting place to be. The office located in a quiet residential area near central Nairobi. As a company, we’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of developers, hustlers, planners, and doers. We provide the freedom and tools necessary for people to be comfortable and successful in their work and in return expect high performance and a culture of excellence. We value ambition, curiosity, candor and most of all an uncontrollable desire to create amazing things.
To Apply: Please send your CV and one example of related work to firstname.lastname@example.org by 8 May 2017